Leader

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Demo


The Call of Duty series has always had a home as a WW 2 Shooter, but it finally reaches towards new heights in it's fourth iteration: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. For the fan of the series, I must warn you that this is a very different game than 1-3, and the combat is much more intense. If this demo is any indication (or the intro movie for that matter) this game promises heavy action punctuated by periods of stillness that are just as terrifying as the firefights.


I don't know if it's just been too long since I've played COD 2, but it seems like the guns in this demo are far less accurate than the WW2 guns of the earlier games. This could just be the fact that the enemy is everywhere and it's hard to see them die if they're in buildings, or the fact that I use them in full auto because of the number of enemies, it's just something I noticed. I don't like the fact that you're given so much ammo for this demo mission. The hardest part about the earlier games is the limiting factor of ammunition, especially on higher difficulty. I don't think I worried about ammo when playing this mission at all. That said, even if I ran out of ammo, I'd just have to wait for an ally to die, or pick up one of the plentiful AK-47's. It makes the game almost too easy from an ammo standpoint, especially special ammo like grenade rounds. Either a lot of marines are dying or this city is growing grenade rounds.

Which brings me to a final point about this game: the AI sucks. I mean badly. The enemies basically just swarm you (though it's a nice touch that they do melee if they are close) and your allies move in an organized way, which would be better if it was tactically too. Marines tend to move by enemies, then turn around to shoot them...if they are still alive. They also tend to stand in front of windows and fire, usually dying violently. It's really iritating to have your squad eliminated by swarms of enemies that you have to largely kill.


Overall the game is intense and will make for a nice shooter, but I don't think it will be a great shooter. The pace and impact of the setting will do it's job and it will keep you on your toes, and I have no doubts a lot of people will buy the game, I just don't think it fully meets my expectations for a new game. Maybe some of these problems will be hammered out before it's released, but I doubt it will be fully fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment