Leader

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This just saddens me...

I was playing Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East earlier today, and it just saddens me. Why? Well, it's basically just a rehash of the last two Might and Magic games, with nicer graphics. No real improvement to the base system has been made. That said, Might and Magic has basically been the same game through every incarnation, so I don't know quite what I was expecting, but the screenshots just looked so good, I assumed there'd be some major changes.


I'm not saying there weren't any changes, mind you, the game got a much needed graphics overhaul that makes it very pretty to look at. Additionally, combat has been mildly retooled (to the point that there's a comabt queue and creatures can become traitors and fight for the other side while in combat). The game just simply doesn't have enough new stuff to really warrant buying it. I mean, if you've played the last five games in the series, you've played this.


The one thing I do like that is new is the racial abilities. Some of these have been in games before and some have not, but they haven't ever really had the mechanics they do now. Stronghold units (read: Orcs & Centaur) get the rage ability, which acts as both a damage shield and a buff. Basically, the more they kill the more powerful they get, and the more they act passively and get hit, the less powerful they get. If you play as an orc would, and smash until you can't smash anymore, you will love this ability. The other races have abilities (the only one I've played around with is the Necromancers faction, and they have a dark magic spell bar that lets them raise dead units, similar to the ability death heroes got in previous games).

I'm going to play it more and give it a full review later, I just wanted to vent a bit about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment