Leader

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Up Up and Away

I guess it's time to get up off my lazy butt and get back to work here. My last topic of discussion was of course, EVE Online, a good game, and an addicting one. But for now, I'm going to change gears a bit and discuss another obsession of mine, Combat Arms.

Combat Arms is a FPS full of the usual standard FPS fare. You have your Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatches (Called Eliminations), Free for all Fun (Called One Man Army), and Objective based missions. So why is it so great? Well, it has a built in rank system, so as you play you earn xp towards your next rank. Each rank unlocks new weapons and armor for you to buy and use. Also, the top ranks are only able to be held by a certain number of players.

When I say you buy weapons and armor, I actually mean that you lease them. You pay GP (Gear Points) to purchase weapons and equipment for a certain period (1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months). You can then use those weapons for that period. Once the period is up, you have to rebuy those weapons. The good news is that GP is easy to earn. The bad news is that everything is expensive to buy.

Basically with this game, the more you play the better you are. You will have access to more equipment, and have more GP to buy equipment with. I play a couple nights a week for a few hours, buying equipment just for that day. Sure it costs less per day to buy for a longer period, but when I'm not sure how long I'll play, I'd prefer to keep some gp in my pocket for later.

The bad part about this game is that there are a large amount of hackers, and flaws in the game code (it is still relatively new, but also a free FPS MMORPG!) Nexon is trying hard to crack down on hackers, and seems to be making headway against them. At any rate, this game is ridiculously fun to play, and I'm off to play it now.

1 comment:

  1. This game you're speaking of reminds me of GunZ, a free FPS MMO as well. It was pretty fun to play but had a lot deal of hackers, too.

    ReplyDelete