Leader

Monday, January 31, 2011

Item Store Ideas

My thoughts about item stores are pretty clear: they suck in most cases. They are often full of the best stuff that is unobtainable anywhere else, and that is their primary marketing mechanic and their downfall. Profit is made because the items in an item store are unique and/or powerful. Just look at how many people have the celestial mount from the WoW item store? It has no impact on the game except that it looks cool, and Blizzard has made boatloads of money off of it.

So that is the recap, now for the idea. Item stores should sell only items obtainable in the game. Now maybe these items are rare, and maybe it will take a long time to get them, but its possible to obtain them through normal gameplay or quests. These items should all be able to be sold on the market/auction house, giving players an opportunity to turn cash into in-game currency legitimately. This would curtail the gold "black market."

Just a thought.
-VG

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tigerus,

    My name is Catherine Meyers; I work as the admin of a web and blog directory. On topic: I agree with you and your idea, certain games , like wow, are doing this even if you pay a monthly fee, I mean item stores are the bread and butter of FTP games (which suck).
    Off topic: I have to say, I really like your blog, really interesting read and articles, Good job! That is why, I would love to have your blog in my directory, that way my visitors will also visit your web.
    If you are interested in this link exchange, please let me know.

    Good luck with Video Game Theory!

    Catherine Meyers

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you send me a link I can link back to your page. Appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete